Sunday, January 27, 2008

The Next Big Italian Thing


I would like to do a preface before we start. My style is very classic-meets-trendy-meets-casual. Something like Ralph Lauren-meets-Balmain kind of thing. So I mean this in the best possible way, Roberto Cavalli's fashion is just to wild for my style. Don't get me wrong, the guy's a genius, just not the kind of thing you would see me sporting everyday. This said I can go on


I came about an article in a fashion magazine, where he complained about the Italian fashion system. As I read through the pages of the interview, I couldn't help but wonder; "is it possible for the two of us to share the same point of view, even if we are light years apart?"


In the article he talks about how the Italian fashion business is not made of talented people, but of contacts, friends of friends and public relations. He says that he still (I mean, he is Cavalli for crying out loud!) gets ignored or banned from important shows because he is different from the rest (that is actually true and that's what is good about his fashion).


This is why I'm writing this article, it just hit home with he.


Even if Italy is still the mecca for many young and talented wanna-be designers, the system sucks. They are stuck in a root. Italy doesn't make fashion anymore, quality clothes, check; good material, also; but no trend. I mean, let's speak frankly, they are not looking for the next big thing.


Much to our disappointment, the systems works as the govenment does. It's just the mentality that we need to understand. Italy is an old country. They are stuck with the old things. Like a survey they did last year proved, the thing that most italians fear most is change itself! So at the end of the day, the brands that they now have, have been around for more than 20 years, but they are always the same, no new fresh change. But hey, that's the way they like it. They like their old habits and since the formula they used in the 70's worked, why change it? They'll stick to it until it just fades in oblivion.



So, since Mr. Cavalli and I share this particular point of view, I invite him not to repeat the same mistakes his colleagues made. I hope that he is true to himself and that he starts introducing (at least in his company. Little steps people!) some initiatives to give the opportunity to new young designers (ahem, like myself) to show their work. This way his brand will always remain fresh, he could get the chance to discover the next big italian thing and maybe, but just maybe, you could see me walking down the street with the latest Cavalli dress.

No comments: